Passing a Nasogastric Tube in the Horse: A self learning module
Jonathan M. Naylor, DVM, MRCVS, Diplomate American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Diplomate American College of Veterinary Nutrition.
Sameeh M Abutarbush DVM, MSc, Diplomate American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
This 300 Mb multimedia CD was developed by a team of content experts, instructional designers, graphic artists and computer programmers. It uses a combination of educational theory, expert content and multimedia to deliver a superior learning environment.
• Line drawings and graphics to illustrate anatomy and important technical points.
• Videoendoscopy of the passage of a nasogastric tube.
• A unique synchronized view of the internal and external events as a nasogastric tube is passed.
• Interactive animations to reinforce important technical points.
• Interactive quizzes.
• With automatic grading and feedback.
• An anatomical review.
• Video of a nasogastric being passed on a colicky horse to show need.
• Video demonstration and description of the technique
• A step by step description of the technique.
• Checking placement.
• Adverse consequences.
• A thorough literature review.
• Dissections of the head.
• Videoendoscopy of the passage of nasogastric tubes.
• Video of mistakes made while students practice the technique.
Proven in a randomized, blind, clinical trial
The CD was evaluated in a controlled, blind, comparison against an experienced instructor. The results showed statistically significant:
• Increased student preference for the CD.
• Better student knowledge in the CD group.
• Students receiving CD instruction were more proficient in passing a nasogastric tube in the live horse.
Improves Equine Welfare
This CD is not only a superior learning tool it also improves horse welfare – less horses need to be used for demonstration,
students are more proficient on their first attempt at passing a nasogastric tube.
$699 (University site license)
$20 (Home Use for students at Universities with a Site License – Liverpool, Minnesota, Oregon, Sydney Only – no CD)